I recently picked up a new book written by H.B. Charles named On Pastoring. It is a very helpful book filled with short practical chapters that convict, instruct and motivate the readers towards increased faithfulness in their personal ministries.
At the end of the book H.B. lists several books he recommends on the subject of Pastoring. It is quite obvious throughout this excellent book, that he has been shaped and challenged by each of these books and the Lord has used them greatly to make him the pastor he is today.
I have been blessed greatly by H.B. Charles’ ministry over the last few years, whether it has been his preaching, his blog or his books and it is obvious that the Lord has used him greatly to bless the church at large.
I love it when Pastors tell us what they read, and recommend books we should read. I think that most if not all of these books should be read, not just by pastors, but anyone who has a Pastor. This will lead us to know what to look for in a Pastor, to understand Pastoring so that we will be better sheep and ultimately to know how to encourage and pray for our pastors. It will also help the average church member to be better equipped to disciple younger Christians in our lives and to have a more effective influence in our personal ministry God has entrusted us with.
So here are H.B.’s top 15 books on Pastoral Ministry every pastor should read.
I hope this brief and practical guide to pastoral ministry has been helpful to you. But there are many other works you should read to deepen your convictions, strengthen your faith, and shape your biblical philosophy of ministry. The following is a short list of books that I like and think you will greatly benefit from reading. This list is in no particular order, nor is it meant to be exhaustive.
- Pastoral Ministry: How to Shepherd Biblically by John F. Macarthur Jr. (Thomas Nelson)
- Lectures to My Students by C. H. Spurgeon (Hendrickson)
- Brothers, We Are Not Professionals by John Piper (B&H)
- Liberating Ministry from the Success Syndrome by R. Kent Hughes (Crossway)
- The Conviction to Lead: 25 Principles for Leadership that Matters by R. Albert Mohler Jr. (Bethany House)
- Nine Marks of a Healthy Church by Mark Dever (Crossway)
- Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry by Paul David Tripp (Crossway)
- Biblical Eldership: An Urgent Call to Restore Biblical Church Leadership by Alexander Strauch (Lewis and Roth)
- The Pastor’s Ministry: Biblical Priorities for Faithful Shepherds by Brian Croft (Zondervan)
- The Cross and Christian Ministry: Leadership Lessons from 1 Corinthians by D.A. Carson (Baker)
- Dear Timothy: Letters on Pastoral Ministry edited by Thomas K. Ascol (Founders Press)
- On Being a Pastor: Understanding Our Calling and Work by Derek Prime & Alistair Begg (Moody)
- Spiritual Leadership: Principles of Excellence for Every Believer by J. Oswald Chambers (Moody)
- The Reformed Pastor by Richard Baxter (Banner of Truth)
And I would add:
- On Pastoring: A Short Guide to Living, Leading and Ministering as a Pastor by H. B. Charles Jr. (Moody)
As he said this is not an exhaustive list but I do believe that it is a pretty good one. What book would you add that God has used to shape your ministry? Please tell me in the comment section.